Moussaka or Greek eggplant casserole is one of my favourite recipes. I also call eggplant lasagna. My version includes tomato meat sauce and grilled eggplants. I also ate with a layer of potatoes, but this option did not suit my taste. This version of moussaka can be successfully used in diets where a small amount of carbohydrates is recommended, i.e. low cab or keto.
The original recipe has a non-lamella sauce, and I replaced it with mixed sour cream with egg and spices. This change makes moussaka-eggplant casserole a lighter version and tastier, in my opinion.
How to choose the best ingredients for moussaka-eggplant casserole
Eggplant: the best eggplants will be fresh, of medium size.
Tomatoes: the best tomatoes will be fresh, as with any sauce. However, you can successfully replace them with canned tomatoes, and it does not matter whether you have the whole or chopped. The final version is a tomato paste, but this is the last resort because the dish loses its value and taste. Such tomatoes are already very processed, but it is also a substitute if you have no other choice.t
Tips and tricks
- In the end, you can cover the moussaka with aluminium foil so that it does not bake too much
- You can make moussaka in more significant amounts, such as two dinners. It can be successfully heated in an oven or a microwave.
Tomato meat sauce
- 3 eggplant
- 500 gr mince meat mix beef – pork
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 5 tomatoes
- 0.5 tsp oregano
- 0.5 tsp basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- 300 ml sour cream
- 1 egg
- 50 gr your favourite cheese like cheddar, gouda
Tomato meat sauce
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise into thin slices, put them on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt to get the taste of bitterness from them.
- In the meantime, we make the meat sauce. Fry the onions in the pan, add the garlic, finely chopped or pressed through the press.
- Add the meat and stir everything until the meat is ready
- Add peeled and diced tomatoes, mix everything.
- When meat is ready
- We wait until liquid droplets appear, collect eggplant liquid with a paper towel.
- Grill the eggplants
- Take a casserole dish and put
- Layer meat and eggplants, the last layer is to be made of meat.
- Pour the cream sauce.
- Bake for about 60 minutes at 180Enjoy your meal
- Sour cream and egg mix them, add cheese and mix them.