I like to close the flavors of summer in jars and then have something of my own, delicious for dinner or as an addition to other dishes. This is a variation of the Swedish salad. However, it is more delicate in taste than its prototype.
How to choose the best ingredients for cucumbers with peppers salad for jars
Cucumbers: All varieties of ground cucumbers are suitable for this salad. They do not have to be perfect for classic gherkins because we will cut them into slices anyway. Ideal for both small and larger, or not perfectly simple.
Pepper: I use red pepper in this salad, but you can also use yellow, orange, but not green. Green pepper has a characteristic bitter aftertaste and will make our salad bitter too.
Vinegar: I used 10% vinegar, but if you have 5%, you can just give it 2 times more, and you will just pour out the excess, although I think you will use it all because I usually add boiled water to the jars.
Tips and tricks
- This prepared salad can be used for dinner, for meat, sandwiches, hot dogs, or hamburgers.
- When it is well pasteurized, the salad can be stored for up to 2 years.
Cucumbers with peppers – salad in jars
- 1 kg cucumbers
- 1 bell pepper
- 0.5 red onion
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 100 ml vinegar 10%
- 100 ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Prepare a large bowl, and we will throw all the products in it.
- Wash the cucumbers and peppers well and cut them into slices.
- Turn the onions and slice them.
- Turn the garlic cloves.
- We put everything in a bowl and add salt, sugar, vinegar and oil. We mix thoroughly. Leave the prepared vegetables for 2 hours.
- During these 2 hours, we can prepare jars for the salad. The jars should be thoroughly washed and scalded so that our salad does not deteriorate.
- After 2 hours, put the salad in the previously scalded jars.
- Thoroughly wipe the lids and the area where the lids twist so that there is no element of the salad because the jars will not close during pasteurization.
- We pasteurize the jars for 15 minutes after boiling them. The best temperature for pasteurization is 85 C, but if we do not have a thermometer when they boil, we reduce the fire to boil gently.
- Pasteurization, i.e. put the jars in a pot of water (the water should reach the height where the lids begin.
- After this time, remove the hot jars from the pot, tighten (it may seem that the jars are not closed, but it is expected, so you should tighten them and put the lid down on the kitchen towel.
- The best thing is to wait at least 2 weeks for the ingredients to bite.