I love closing the flavors of summer and autumn in jars. I know a pumpkin will survive the whole winter, but it will be a perfect addition to the meat throughout the winter in a jar of sweet wine. It is now perfect after only 2 weeks. After 2 weeks you can enjoy its taste. A pumpkin prepared in this way does not require much effort and is a healthy addition to the dishes. Sweet wine pumpkin in jars, in a word, is worth trying.
How to choose the best ingredients for sweet wine pumpkin in jars
Pumpkin: classic pumpkin is suitable for these preserves. It is not too sweet like other varieties.
Distilled vinegar: distilled vinegar is best for preserves if you want a more spicy flavor. If you want a more delicate one, you can use apple cider vinegar, only then do you double the portions and you reduce the amount of water.
Sugar: you can add the sugar you use, i.e. cane sugar is also good.
Cloves: Cloves are only suitable as a whole. Ground cloves will not be suitable.
Tips and tricks
- If you don’t want brown pumpkin pieces, take the cloves out of the vinegar marinade.
- If you want more flavorful pumpkins, then you can add more spices. But, for me, this amount is enough.
- That our preserves will survive and serve us until the end. It is very important to sterilize the jars well and wipe the caps before screwing them on. Inattention may cost us broken preserves.
Sweet wine pumpkin in jars
- 2 kg peeled and expressed pumpkin
- 1200 ml water
- 30 pieces cloves
- 1 cup distilled vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- Turn the pumpkins and dice them.
- Boil the water with vinegar, salt, sugar, and cloves.
- Put the pumpkins into the boiling water and cook them lightly for about 2-3 minutes until they are glazed.
- Put the prepared pumpkins into previously prepared jars. Pour the marinade in which the pumpkin was cooking.
- The marinade should cover the whole pumpkins.
- We tightly twist the well-dried caps.
- Put the jars into a large pot, and pour cold water to the height of the caps.
- We pasteurize 15 minutes from the moment of boiling the water at a temperature of 75 – 100 degrees C / 167 – 212 degrees F