Do you like pickles and Swedish salads? I like it in every form. I also like to make different versions myself for the jars to close the taste of summer to winter. They can later be used as an addition to dinner, sandwiches or hot dogs, hamburgers, casseroles, and even mini pizzas on baguettes. This version is more delicate and sweet, but in my pantry, you will find different depending on what you like for the day.
How to choose the best ingredients for cucumber meal salad in jar
Ground cucumbers: pick all the pickles you have, if you do not plan to do, for example, small gherkins. Cucumber with carrot is one of the salads where I can use these non-perfect cucumbers. I know from experience that the type of cucumbers does not matter. You can even mix them in one recipe.
Onions: we choose onions, either white or brown. Red in this version will be too delicate.
Carrots: we choose the carrot as we have it, peel it, the more sweet and juicy the carrot will be, the more delicate our salad will be. Young carrots are not suitable for this recipe.
Spirit Vinegar: I use 10% white spirit vinegar in this salad. You can also use the 5% more than just twice as much. It always works for me anyway that I add boiled water to the jars because there is not enough pickle. So if you add more 5% vinegar, it will be just right or a little too much.
Tips and tricks
- If you run out of flooding, add cold boiled water.
- You can grind the cucumbers by hand, but also use a special shredder machine.
- You can make a recipe from half a portion if you do not have as many cucumbers, then you spread the work a few times.
- It is good to soak the cucumbers in cold water for about 1 hour if you have time. Then they will be even firmer and juicier because they have absorbed water.
Cucumber with carrot meal salad in jar – we close the flavours of summer to winter
- 5 kg ground cucumbers
- 0.5 kg onions
- 0.5 kg carrots
- 4 tbsp salt
- 2 heads garlic
- 6 pepper
- 1 cup spirit vinegar
- 1 cup sunflower, rapeseed oil what who likes
- 1 cup sugar
- Thoroughly wash the cucumbers, cut the ends and cut them into slices, peel the carrots and grate them on a coarse grater. Cut the onions into strips.
- Peel the garlic
- Put everything in a bowl, add salt sugar.
- Pour in vinegar and oil.
- Mix and set aside for a minimum of 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, the vegetables give off a juice that will combine with vinegar and oil. We mix thoroughly again and put our salad in the jars.
- Before that, we scald the jars so that there are no surprises (we scald the jars with hot boiled water or wash them in the dishwasher)
- When we put the salad in the jars, we pour it with what is left in the bowl.
- Then carefully wipe the nuts and the place of the jar where we will turn so that there is no carrots or cucumbers leftover because, after pasteurization, the jars try not to close.
- Put into a pot, pour water under the plugs and pasteurize for 15 minutes from the moment the water boils
- After pasteurization is finished, remove the jars on a cloth on the counter, screw them on, and put them upside down to cool. (they will be hot with care)
- The following ingredients will come out about 18 jars of 340 ml