Chicken Drumstick Stewed in Sauerkraut and Prunes is a simple dish for a very effective and healthy dinner. Sour sauerkraut is mixed with sweet prunes. They add herbs, making the chicken drumsticks juicy, soft, and very aromatic.
How to choose the best ingredients for Chicken Drumstick Stewed in Sauerkraut and Prunes
Chicken drumstick: choose the best quality chicken drumsticks you can. This is not the oily chicken part so that you can leave the skin on.
Sauerkraut: you can most often meet sauerkraut in two forms: carrots and pure without this additive. The best and the whole range of nutritional values will be the one in the composition of cabbage and salt. Avoid the one with added vinegar.
Rosemary/ Thyme/ Marjoram: If you have fresh herbs, it will be perfect if you use them, then the dish will be more aromatic. However, dried spices are essential to be stored in dark, sealed containers, and then they retain their properties as long as possible.
Tips and tricks
- If you have a cast-iron pot with a lid, stew it in such a pot. The baking time is reduced to about 1 hour. At a higher temperature of 200 degrees C / 390 degrees F / Gas mark 6
- You can use other parts of the chicken in this dish. Only the chicken breasts can come out too dry.
Chicken Drumstick Stewed in Sauerkraut and Prunes
- 1 kg chicken drumstick
- 500 gr sauerkraut
- 100 gr prunes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- pepper for taste
- Wash the chicken puddles well in cold water.
- Squeeze the sauerkraut gently from the excess juice.
- Mix the sauerkraut with herbs and prunes.
- In a baking pot with a lid, place half of the sauerkraut.
- Next step, put the chicken legs on the cabbage and cover the rest of the sauerkraut again.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of water over the entire dish.
- While stewing, check whether you need to add water.
- Stewed in a preheated oven to 180 degrees C / 360 degrees F / Gas mark 4 for 1,5 hours, covered, then stir and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with baked potatoes in herbs.