Salad Nicoise is a classic French dish that has been enjoyed for years. The salad’s ingredients are simple but provide plenty of flavors, making it nutritious and filling enough to be served as both lunch or dinner – if you’re looking for some light fare!
How to choose the best ingredients for Salad Nicoise
Ice salad: I like ice salad in this salad, and I find it perfect with its crispness and juiciness. You can also use other salad mixes, but the salad will not be suitable for a box dish. The characteristic feature of the ice cream parlor is that it remains firm in salads for a long time.
Eggs: choose very fresh eggs as there was very undercooked yolk in the salad and therefore it will be perfect as the eggs will be very fresh so as not to spoil the taste of the salad.
Green Beans: green beans are best young, where the seeds in the beans are not yet fully grown.
Tuna in brine: tuna in brine is best chosen in larger pieces, where, when you open the can, it is slightly pink, not brown. The brown color means worse parts of the tuna and its remains.
Anchovies filets: Anchovies fillets are not obligatory in many recipes. They are even omitted, but they perfectly match the tuna, and I like to add them to the dishes.
Tomatoes: definitely cherry tomatoes or other mini versions because they match the salad in terms of composition. They are sweeter, more aromatic, and look better.
Red onion: the red onion gives the salad a delicate spiciness. White cellulose or brown one is not suitable for salads, so do not change this ingredient.
Black olives: black olives are best to use pitted. Here you can use the ones you like, and the best ones will be medium-sized.
- 1/2 ice salad
- 4 eggs
- 70 gr green beans
- 120 gr tuna in brine
- 5 pieces anchovies fillets
- 10 pieces cocktail tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 15 pieces pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice /wine vinegar /apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, dry, and cut the iceberg lettuce into pieces. Then put the prepared lettuce in a salad bowl.
- Boil the eggs half-hard so that part of the yolk is not boiled. It is literally about 0.5 cm in diameter. Such eggs will be perfect for a salad. However, they do not always come out ideally, so if they are tough, nothing will break either.
- Wash the green beans, cut off the ends and cook in salted water until al dente.
- Then, drain the tuna from the brine and put it on the lettuce.
- Dice the onions and sprinkle the tuna on top. Next, halve the olives and fry them over the top of the salads. Finally, add the chopped anchovies fillets.
- Put together the washed, dried, and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Add the cooked, cooled beans to the salad.
- Divide the cooled eggs into quarters and put them in a salad bowl.
Then prepare the dressing:
- Pour all the ingredients into a cup, add the garlic squeezed through the crush, and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.Bon Appetit!