I love Italian ice cream. It is the tastiest in the world. Delicate cream vanilla is the base for all the flavors you want. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to be in sunny Italy, but you can always recreate this taste at home. This is the perfect recipe, in my opinion.
How to choose the best ingredients for homemade gelato
Egg yolks: we choose egg yolks best from free-range hens. But, believe me, such eggs taste completely different, and here it is essential. If you do not have size M but S, you use one egg yolk more and one egg yolk less with size L.
Erythritol powder: suppose you want to lower the caloric content and enjoy ice cream on a low-carbohydrate diet, e.g. keto. In that case, I recommend using erythritol in the powder version for ice cream. When using a normal one, it may not dissolve when making gelato.
Milk: the milk should be fatty because, let’s set it on fat in good ice cream, it does not save.
Heavy cream: heavy cream gives the ice cream texture and taste. It is an essential ingredient.
Vanilla extract: the vanilla extract gives our ice cream a vanilla flavor. You can add vanilla balls inside to strengthen the smell if you have vanilla sticks.
Tips and tricks
- It is worth getting an ice cream maker, even the cheapest one because it saves us time and makes it perfect. In addition, the smallest one provides us with portions for 4-6 people.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can use the freezer, but you have to remember to stir the ice cream every 30 minutes. Then, it will be creamy and will not form crystals.
- If you want to freeze the unused ice cream for use at another time, you can do so but put it in a plastic or glass container. Do not freeze them in the container of the ice cream maker, as it will be difficult to remove later. The container from the ice cream maker has additional cooling options, and such ice cream is as hard as stone when removed from the freezer. I know, I made this mistake myself.
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 140 gr the erythritol powder version
- 350 ml milk
- 250 ml heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- Beat the yolk with erythritol to a smooth mass. The best powder will be for this because it will break down more precisely. Unfortunately, erythritol does not do as well as sugar, and when we use the version in crystals, we can reckon that it will be felt in our ice cream.
- Pour the milk into the scoop and stir, and the milk cannot boil. The best temperature will be 85 C or 175 F
- If you do not have a thermometer, put the milk aside when you notice that it is starting to boil,
- Add the erythritol powder and hot milk cream very carefully and cook everything again for 5 minutes. Take it off the heat and add the cold cream and stir it quickly. Add the vanilla extract, mix and pour the mixture into the Ice cream maker. I have the simplest versions, and I am thrilled. Although waiting for ice cream is about 3-4 hours, it's worth it because you know what you are eating, and in this version, keto is even tastier.
- Enjoy your desser