Fried green tomatoes, I’ve always wanted to learn them after watching the movie with the same title, and I don’t think I’m alone in this dream.
They taste insane and are worth the work to taste them. I like to be inspired by movies in the kitchen, and this recipe is one of them.
How to choose the best ingredients for Fried Green Tomatoes
Green tomatoes: we choose medium-sized green tomatoes. They can also be slightly pink but not red. The red ones are too soft, and we will crash during frying.
Bread Crumbs: you can prepare the tart on your own. Then you know what you are adding to the dish. The rolls bought in the blind are often dark brown, which means that there may be only leftovers or even bread. The best for breadcrumbs are baguettes. You have to dry them and then grind or grate them. You sure you have a few days’ pieces of bread left, and you don’t know what to do with it. Just leave them on the breadcrumbs.
Cornflour: cornflour is meant to be corn flour, not corn starch.
Tips and tricks
- It is good to put the bowls somewhere near the pan with the fat in my order at the same amount. We make cooking easier.
- Well, when you have paper towels somewhere close. Hands dirty when you dip your tomatoes; this is inconvenient for me, and I like to wipe my hands off now and then.
- Put our fried tomatoes on a plate lined with paper towels. This way, the towels collect excess fat.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3-4 medium green tomatoes
- 1 cuo plain flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- frying oil
- Wash the tomatoes, dry them, and cut them into 0.5 cm slices
- You will need 3 deep plates
- 1 plate is flour mixed with cayenne pepper, salt, garlic, and paprika
- 2 plates of beaten egg with buttermilk
- 3 plates of mixed breadcrumbs with cornflour
- Dip each tomato in the following bowls 1, then 2, then 3 and put the dipped tomato on the well-heated fat. There should be enough oil for the tomatoes to float on it.
- Serve the tomatoes even better warm with Remoulade Sauce.
I was inspired by the recipe from the site www.amerykaodkuchni.com