Fancy a delicious, simple spring-smelling dish? Now with the ingredients available all year round, you can bring up any time with this simple crispy smashed potatoes with yogurt dip in your home. The flavors may be a bit revolutionized, but they remind me of many visits to my grandma, where baby potatoes were served with curdled milk. Here we replace curdled milk with yogurt and do it as a spicy dip.
How to choose the best ingredients for Crispy smashed potatoes with yogurt dip
Baby Potatoes: I recommend young potatoes with a low starch content (it also makes the yellow inside easier). This detail will make the potatoes soft enough after cooking and keep their shape.
Olive oil: Olive, I recommend the one you like from the best quality olives extra virgin. I like Italian and Greek oils. When you choose an olive, check where it was produced and, most importantly, where the olives come from (there are situations where the production is in Italy and the olives come from plantations in Africa.).
Rosemary: Rosemary goes perfectly with potatoes and gives them a spring fragrance. It is not necessary, but if you have the opportunity to add fresh rosemary, I highly recommend it.
Tips and tricks for Crispy smashed potatoes with yogurt dip
- Mash the potatoes while they are warm (when they cool down). They will be less flexible and may fall apart.
- Mashed potatoes can be lightly sprinkled with pizza cheese to enrich the taste. I prefer to saute versions, but you check them out. I’m waiting for your opinions.
- You can sprinkle the baking potatoes with fresh thyme for flavor.
- You can also try other dips based on yogurt, e.g., tzatziki. You can find my delicious tzatziki recipe here.
You can find more potato recipes here:
Crispy smashed potatoes with yogurt dip
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and paper for taste
- a sprig of rosemary (optional for flavoring)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Do not peel the potatoes. Just wash them thoroughly. Cook until tender in salted water.
- Prepare a baking tray for potatoes – line it with paper and grease the paper with olive oil.
- Drain the boiled potatoes, gently crush the bottom of the jar or glass, and place them on the previously prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 200 C for about 20-25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare a spicy dip based on Greek yogurt.
Yogurt dip instructions:
- Salt and pepper the yogurt to taste.
- Chop the garlic clove and fry it with chili flakes in heated olive oil for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the olive with the previously prepared yogurt.
- Bon Appetite