Burnt Butter Ice Cream is the taste of my childhood. The best ice cream you could buy is the one with burnt butter. You can also add other flavors to them, then this characteristic taste of burnt butter will be mixed with fruit or raisins soaked in rum or chocolate. For me, however, this original taste is the best of any additions.
How to choose the best ingredients for Burnt Butter Ice Cream
Whipping cream: whipping cream will be the best fresh, it can be low in calories as you pay attention to it. It is important that the cream is neither sour nor bitter.
Yolks: yolks, it is essential that they come from fresh eggs because we will not boil them but only heat them to a temperature of 85 degrees C (185 degrees F). To check if the eggs are fresh, perform a water test.
Butter: It must necessarily be butter, and it cannot be a vegan substitute. Otherwise, the artificially hardened fat behaves and tastes differently.
Milk: you can choose the milk you use, although I prefer the very fatty ones. However, if you make sure that there is less fat, you can use the skimmed version.
Icing sugar (powdered sugar): powdered sugar may be in the 0-calorie version, and it does not matter what sweetener you use. However, it is essential to remember that you must use erythritol more than regular sugar. It should be a powdered version so that it dissolves well. You do not feel it in the ice cream.
Tips and tricks
- To quickly cool the mass, put the container in the water with ice. The chilled mass will freeze faster, which is very important to how quickly you want your ice cream ready, or if you use an ice cream machine, which container you need to freeze first. This way, it is enough for me to make two kinds of ice cream in one day without freezing the container again.
- If you replace sugar with a sweetener, you will have keto ice cream (I recommend using the powder version so that the sugar is well dissolved.)
- If you are left with egg proteins, you can use them for other recipes available on my website, e.g. meringue or sponge cake on the protein itself.
- You can also freeze egg whites and store them for up to 3 months. These are the best for making meringues. After defrosting, they are better tamped.
More ice cream and sorbet recipes
Burnt Butter Ice Cream
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 5 yolks
- 125 gr butter
- 300 ml milk
- 130 gr icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut the butter into pieces and put it in a saucepan with a light bottom. Heat the butter over low heat until it turns golden (be careful not to burn the butter)
- When the butter is ready, pour it into a cold vessel. This is an important activity because in a preheated pot, and butter can burn all the time.)
- Heat the cream and milk to about 85 degrees C (185 degrees F)
- Beat the yolks with powdered sugar to a fluffy mass, and then add the cooled milk with cream. Add vanilla extract and mix them.
- Add butter to the prepared mass and heat everything until the mass thickens, stirring all the time.
- Cool the slightly thick mass in cold water.
- Then we pour it into the ice cream machine, and depending on the machine, the ice cream will be made for 3-4.5 hours.
- If you do not have an ice cream machine, put the chilled mass into a container (the container should preferably be larger, up to 2/3 of its height, so that the power can be mixed freely during freezing). Liquids increase their courage during freezing, and it is a good idea to pay attention to the fact that the ice cream does not flow out of the container.
- During freezing, the ice cream is mixed on average every 1-1.5 hours, depending on what temperature the freezer is set to. Ice cream will need 4.5-5 hours to freeze completely.