It’s not a classic apple cake. Instead, it’s a cake with apples, raisins and nuts wrapped in a delicate puff pastry. All these ingredients blend perfectly together, giving it a unique flavour. This Apple strudel with nuts and raisins is an attempt to recreate the classic Czech strudel I ate in Prague. It is one of the unforgettable flavours of the trip that I try to recreate at home.
I can confidently say that it worked.
How to choose the best ingredients
We choose the sweet wine so that they are not baked in the dough until the end and they keep their invoice. We choose apples for our apple strudel cake of medium size, about 15 cm in diameter.
Certainly, this dough contains white sugar because, in this part of Europe where this dough comes from, no other type of sugar was used before. However, if you want to reduce its caloric content, you can add sweeteners on the market, e.g. erythritol, it will certainly not change the taste of the dough.
Tips and tricks
- If we are sure that our apples are not artificially waxed, we can make apple vinegar with the peel and cucumber after the apples.
- If you do not want the dough to get too hot, you can cover it with aluminium foil while baking when you decide that the colour of the cakes is right.
- I always use a silicone mat to fight the dough, to which the dough does not stick.
Apple strudel with nuts and raisins
- 1 puff pastry
- 4-5 apples
- 2-3 tbsp sugar (to taste)
- 50 gr raisins
- 50 gr walnuts
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- whipped cream (optional)
- peel the apples and cut them into small pieces
- soak the raisins in hot water (10 min)
- put the apples in a pan, simmer
- drain the raisins and add to the apples
- cut the walnuts into small pieces and add to the apples
- cool the apple with raising and walnuts
- roll out the puff pastry thinly 2-3mm
- put the apples on the puff pastry, leaving the edges 5-6 cm free
- roll the puff pastry into a roll with apples inside
- bake 30-45 minutes at 200
- Serve crushed with powdered sugar and whipped cream or vanilla ice creamEnjoy your meal!