Apple Crumble Muffins
I love apples in any form, and I also love the crumble. Soft cake with apples, decorated with delicious crispy pieces. Apple Crumble Muffins Recipe has everything for lovers of crumble and apples.
Apple Muffins with crumb topping will definitely try if you haven’t eaten such a combination yet.
Why This Apple Cinnamon Muffin Recipe Works
There are many recipes for muffins, but this one has its own secret thanks to which the muffins will be like from a pastry shop, and at the same time they will be homemade, which is much better quality.
It’s quick and easy to make with the ingredients you have at home.
You can also manage your own crumble to make it the way you like it. I’m giving you an example of proportions but also giving you options to choose from.
Muffins are as simple as you follow certain rules that anyone, even those who are beginners in the kitchen, can do it.
How to make crumble topping
The crumb topping is of three basic ingredients in the right proportions.
That is, unsalted butter, flour, and sugar.
It’s up to us whether the crumble topping will be more expressive on our apple cinnamon muffins or will be more slightly crunchy.
Crumble mixture knead the fingers by rubbing the mass of flour and sugar. When lumps are perfectly connected (you can feel sugar crystals in them), our crumb topping is ready.
We can also add to the crumble topping additives such as vanilla, and cinnamon to further enhance the taste of our baking, but I skip this stage because the muffins are already aromatic enough.
Why this recipe is the best for making apple crumble muffins
Ten recipes are so unique because even though you are given how you can adapt it to yourself because each of us may like a different structure of the crumble and exactly it is the queen of these apple muffins.
The best additions to baking with apples.
The best addition will definitely be vanilla ice cream, generally ice cream where the ingredient is cream and eggs as befits traditional recipes for ice cream.
You can use store bought but you can also try with ice cream from my recipe.
More Apple Recipes
If you like to crumble in baking, you will definitely be tempted to try the very fluffy and buttery Heavily Butter Cake with Apples and Crumble.
You will also find inspirations from other European cuisines, such as Czech Republik, and to be precise, Apple Strudel with Nuts and Raisins from Prague.
How to Create the Perfect Tall Muffin Tops
Whether the muffins will be tall depends on several factors.
One of the most important factors is that all ingredients are at room temperature.
In order for the muffins to be high, pour the right amount into the muffin cups (preferably 3/4 of the height). Besides, the load, in this case, our crumble can not be too much.
And apples are very important so that there are not too many of them because the dough will be too wet and will not rise but will fall. Therefore, the amount of what is in the recipe is perfect not too little and not too much.
The right amount of starch also gives them fluffiness, so it should not be omitted. Starch also makes muffins easier to store and keeps them fresh longer.
It is important to have chopped apples. So that it is not too fine, because then the fruit releases more juice and the dough will be more liquid, which is not advisable.
We also add apples at the last moment before putting our muffins into the preheated oven.
How to store Apple Crumble Muffins
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container. However, only when muffins cool completely when we put warm cupcakes into the container, will the topping crumble become soft and lose all the charm and crunchiness for which we love it so much.
For the Buttery Crumb Topping
How to choose the best ingredients for Apple Crumble Muffins
Apples: choose apples that do not catch on quickly, then you will feel them in muffins. I prefer hard sweet apples like Gala.
Standard recipes will recommend apples like golden delicious which are sour and perfect for baking.
These can be perfect for an apple pie where you prepare the apples beforehand as stuffing. Hard, sweet as Gala will be good for muffins.
Flour: all-purpose flour will be good for these muffins, but it is worth sifting through it before adding to the muffin batter.
Buttermilk: buttermilk is best for muffins, but you can use kefir or natural greek yogurt substitutes, or sour cream.
Whatever you use, it is important that it is at room temperature.
Vegetable oil: you can use whatever oil you have because it won’t have any flavor in the apple cinnamon muffins anyway. So, for example, it can be rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, or coconut oil. I use unrefined oils. You can also replace the oil with melted butter.
Starch: adding starch to muffins makes them fluffy and stays fresh for longer. It doesn’t matter whether you add potato starch or corn starch.
Eggs: eggs should be fresh for sure. But, don’t you know how to check if an egg is fresh? The expiry date on the package may be from other eggs.
Check out the Tips and Tricks there to find out how to find out if an egg is fresh and suitable for muffins.
Sugar: I used granulated sugar but you can use a cane or brown sugar as well. The latter will give an additional caramel flavor.
If you don’t use sugar, you can replace it with sweeteners in the proportion you have given on the packaging of a sugar substitute.
Unsalted butter: Only butter is suitable for crumble. Sorry to say but there is no substitute for vegetarianism. No other hard margarine will give such a taste and aroma.
Of course, the butter cannot be salted because salt will be felt in the crumble in any amount.
Tips and tricks
- Buttermilk and eggs are as good as they will be at room temperature (remove beforehand or warm in warm, but not hot, water) – I take it out earlier.
- If we don’t know how to check if an egg is fresh, it’s worth a very simple method. You only need to put the raw egg in a glass of cold water and watch it behave. When it sinks straight to the bottom and lies flat on its sides, it is very fresh and can be used, for example, for scrambled eggs or soft cooking. If the egg at the bottom of the glass tilts slightly or stands still, it is probably several weeks old. Then, of course, it can be eaten, but it tastes best when hard-boiled or muffins, or cakes. My grandma taught me this method.
Apple Crumble Muffins
- 140 ml vegetable oil
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 160 gr flour
- 40 gr starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 150 gr sugar
- 2 fresh apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 40 gr butter
- 50 gr flour
- 40 gr sugar
- For muffins, you will need a large bowl and a mixing tool. It can be a tablespoon, a fork, or a food processor. For the next step, you will need a muffin tin, a paper muffin cups, or a silicone case.
- Beat eggs with sugar to a fluffy mass for about 2-4 minutes, add oil and mix all the time at high speed, add melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, make a flour mixture so mix baking powder and baking soda, ground cinnamon, and sieved flour before adding to the apple muffin batter. These are the dry ingredients that we add to the wet ingredients once they are properly whipped.
- Peel the apples and chop apples into small pieces, mix muffin batter with diced apple, pour into the muffin mold, and sprinkle the crumble on the top. It is important to add the apples to the butter muffins at the last minute before putting them in the muffin case. So that during the process they do not release the juice and do not thin the dough.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 F)
- Bake muffins for 25 min until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After baking, remove the muffins from the muffin tin and let them cool completely. The best way for this will be by wire rack to cool.
- They will fit perfectly if you serve them with the milk you like, I like almond milk.
- Or if you want to serve warm muffins, I recommend how to split them in half and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pour cold butter, flour, and sugar into a bowl and knead it in your hands until the crumble appears. You can add vanilla extract if you want. This is the easiest way to make delicious buttery crumble topping according to my grandmother.