This is one of the cakes my children brought me. When Natalia came back from the library, the first thing my mother told me was, I have a recipe for your blog. Indeed, there was a recipe for a fascinating and healthy cake at the end of the book. We love them, and the idea for this nut cake without flour is made in various variations, with various additions.
How to choose the best ingredients for Apple cake by Natalia (from the book Apple Cake a Gratitude)
Apples: we choose sweet wine apples that do not bake quickly.
Honey: honey always uses natural, whatever you like. Any kind of honey will work well in this dough.
Coconut oil: You can choose butter instead of coconut oil, but for me, the type of cake changes based on the book it comes from. I used a similar dough but already with butter in a different recipe.
Walnut/ Almond: walnuts are perfect for this dough. I would not be tempted to buy relatively expensive flour with walnuts. If you have a medium-quality blender, they will successfully grind these nuts. There will probably be pieces of nuts, but in this dough, it only adds flavor. As for almonds, I have already used ready-made ground almonds. I didn’t want to exploit my blender with hard almonds anymore. However, if you wish, you can try.
Tips and tricks
- This is one of the few cakes I know that if I don’t bake and take them out of the oven too early, you can put them back in and bake them for a few minutes.
- You can add a natural almond flavor to this cake as well. almonds go perfectly with apples.
Apple cake by Natalia (from the book Apple Cake a Gratitude)
- 4 apples
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 125 gr coconut oil
- 200 gr walnuts
- 100 gr almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp honey
- 25 gr coconut oil
- Beat the eggs until fluffy. The mass will be very light yellow, and it will become more.
- Add honey and mix with a mixer on top speed all the time.
- Melt the coconut oil from the pot and add warm but not hot to the dough.
- Blend the nuts if we do not have flour (they do not have to be thoroughly prepared for a smooth flour, pieces of nuts do not interfere with the dough.)
- We add baking soda and mix.
- Two apples are cut into pieces, and this is where the children help us.
- Here is a safe way for young children to cut apples all on their own.
- We give children peeled and sliced apple parts to cut them even finer. For me it is always a full commitment at this stage.
- We add sliced apples to the dough and mix.
- Wash the next two apples, peel them, and cut them into eight pieces.
- Pour the dough into a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Put the slices of apples cut in eighths and put them in the oven.
- We will prepare the oven for 180 degrees C / 360 degrees F / Gas mark 4
- We bake for about 40 minutes
- Dissolve coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Add honey and mix until combined.
- Boil for one minute, and bring to the boil stirring.