Delicious crunchy cookies frying in deep fat. Sprinkled with powdered sugar is a delicacy from Poland. It is always made once a year, and it resembles an American pancake day, only that in Poland, you can make either Angel Wings or doughnuts.
I didn’t really like to make them because they require a bit of work, but by accident, I discovered a method where you don’t have to put that much work in, and since then, it’s been hosted on my table more often. So, if you want to try delicious and effective Angel Wings, I invite you to do so.
How to choose the best ingredients for Angel Wings
Flour: choose the best you have, and if you have flour for biscuits and cookies, this will be the best. The most refined flour is fluffy, so the biscuits will not be heavy. Of course, each flour is best to sieve before adding to the dough. You can use a regular sieve for this.
Butter: of course, is not salted, and without any admixture of oil, margarine is not suitable for this recipe.
Sugar: as best as it will be finely ground white so that the dough does not change color. It may be brown, but remember, your Angel Wings will have a slightly brown color.
Yolks: are best made of L-sized eggs, but if you have smaller eggs, just add one more yolks.
Sour cream: gives our angel wings crispiness, and you can replace it with natural fatty yogurt.
Spirit, vodka, or vinegar: are necessary products so that our Angel Wings do not absorb much oil and retain their taste and tenderness.
Vegetable oil: choose vegetable oil suitable for deep frying. It can be a sunflower, rapeseed for me, or the best you have.
Tips and tricks
- So that the cakes are not greasy, add one potato peel to the oil. This is my grandmother’s patent because the potato will absorb fat and be fried with angel wings.
- So that the dough does not need to be kneaded hard, you need to put the dough into the refrigerator for 12 hours. And I discovered this patent by accident. Grandma always said that Angel Wings must be well loaded to have a lot of air. I failed because when I started baking, they were not so brittle and filled with air, so I put them in a bag and put them in the refrigerator for another better day. The next day, I decided to try again, and it turned out that after lying in the glacier, the cake behaved as it should, and the cookies came out delicious.
- 1.5 cup flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 yolks
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp spirit, vodka or vinegar
- 1 liter vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- Grate the butter with sugar, gradually adding egg yolks, sour cream and vinegar.
- When all these ingredients are well grated, we gradually add flour.
- Then, when the dough is very hard, press the rest of the flour with a pinch of salt.
- We beat the dough with a roller to get air for about 10 minutes.
- If we want to avoid this, it's a good idea to knead the dough for 12 hours before frying. Then Angel Wings comes out crisp and tasty.
- Then divide the dough into 3 parts.
- We fight each part on a cake with a thickness of about 3 mm. Cut out 15 x 5 cm strips and make a 4-5 cm hole along the length.
- We put one end of our rectangle through the opening.
- Fry on a well-heated key until golden brown.
- There should be air bubbles in the dough, which means that the dough is well kneaded.
- Put the fried biscuits on a paper towel to let them sniff out the rest of the fat.
- When it cools down, sprinkle with powdered sugar.